Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What Not to Wear, the Earthquake Edition

Today, just a little before 2:00pm the house started shaking. Slow at first I thought Mimi might be jumping on the furniture in the living room. About five of the longest seconds ever when by and I realized the shaking was getting worse. Things were actually falling off shelves in the pantry.  I scooped Fitzy out of her highchair and urged Mimi to head to the front door.
  
She bolted out with Fitzy and me trailing behind her. At the last moment (earth still quaking and whatnot) I realized I was in a bra and my favorite pair of Talbot's bermudas.  My first thought as I see my four year old dash down the stairs to join our frightened neighbors? "Wouldn't you know it?  It's the end of the world and I am half dressed!".

Earlier, during the delightful time that is shoveling parsnips into an angry teething infant's itty bitty mouth I was hit in the tummy with a spoonful veggies.  I did what made sense at the time...took the shirt off, hit it with some Shout and carried on, damn it.


...and then THE EARTH STARTED SHAKING!  My brain was all "calmly collect my people and get into a doorway"...."wait that doorway looks questionable...that one too!......I don't want my last moments to be spent in our stupid half-bath that should be a closet.....get outside, now!"


At the last minute I grabbed a itchy wool sweater slated to make the next trip to the donation bin, put it on and joined Mimi outside.  Luckily my neighbors were all too distracted what with the EARTHQUAKE and all to notice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment